I grew up hearing "she was born awkward" a lot. Instead of letting this scar me I chose to live up to it and love to be awkward so when the whole Annie Sloan phenomena hit the globe my reaction was pah! Nothing in my home or style desires any level of shabby chic about it, apart from maybe my hair but that is entirely unintentional. So what changed my mind? Well the first step to me wanting to try this paint was the fact that I continued to see images of of Annie Sloan paint used as a flat colour, no distressing or shabby chic in sight. I then read more and more about the fact that you can fully mix her paint range to make custom colours. One thing I love more than being awkward is being different. I want my home to be exclusive to me, I mix the paint, I create the colour, I couldn't argue with that. Last of all is that I really do have an awful lot of painting projects in this house and priming everything first is a painful thought. Speaking of thoughts here are my thoughts, a non believer!
- First of all this paint dries quickly. Now I have been using water based eggshell as my paint of choice for a long while but this dries faster.
- It really does have good coverage. For the grey area I did only one coat!
- It does feel a little gloopy, so much so that I felt the urge to water it down, I didn't and it spread nicely.
- Lets' talk about finish. Now I am pretty impressive with a brush but it took practice to get results with little or no brush marks. Using this paint for the first time, so I have room for improvement, the paint sort of flattened out.
- So it might sound like up-selling when all sites say you should use Annie Sloan flat brushes to get a flat colour. So I bought the brush but I tried it with my own brush first. You need the genuine brush.
- More notes on coverage, I used the mini project pack so each pot was only 100ml. I painted this laptop table and I have loads left so a little goes a long way.
- I have only used the clear wax and that too has a little goes a long way policy. It buffs up to a slight sheen similar to a water based eggshell finish.
- Price. It is not cheap but it is good value. As I said earlier a little goes along way and cheap is not always best value. In my opinion it is worth the cash.