This house will be lovely but we are still in the stage of the renovation when we are spending time and money doing lots of things but nothing that we can really see, nothing pretty; replacing guttering, re pointing chimney stacks and fixing wiring. The kitchen is a long way off, I am preparing all meals just on the hob, we have no oven or grill. With all of the personal upheaval with my health and the renovation coupled with daily tasks and work it can be easy to let the little things slip you by. It is the little things that bring sunshine we must never let go of them, hearing the words, "mummy hug", a cup of tea and a book, and sharing a meal together as a family. At the table, talking and sharing, watching Joe blow Sebastian's food, or give me that get that camera away from me look, it is so important. It is also important to me that despite the oven situation our meals are varied and healthy.
you will need;
1cup of (mixed bulgur wheat & quinoa)
3 cups chickpeas
5 spring onions
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 green chilies
200g feta cheese, cubed (omit for a vegan meal)
1 large aubergine
300g cooked beetroot
2 x 400g cans chickpeas
2tsp coriander powder
2 garlic cloves
2tsp ground cumin
2tsp ras el hanout
4tbsp gram flour
- Put the two cans of chickpeas, shallots, garlic cloves, coriander, cumin, ras el hanout and gram flour in a food processor and whiz into a paste.
- Liquidize the beetroot and stir into the falafel mix.
- Slice the aubergine into 4 slices lengthwise. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and cook on both sides on a hot griddle until soft.
- Slice the spring onion and chilies and fry in a little olive oil. Add the cup of chickpeas and fry on a low heat until the chickpeas begin to brown.
- Meanwhile boil the quinoa and bulgar wheat in a saucepan.
- Form the falafel mixture into small balls.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a small saucepan and fry them until golden. Drain on kitchen roll.
- Once the chickpeas begin to brown add the tomato halves and add them to the spicy chickpea mixture and continue to cook until the tomatoes burst and soften. When they are cooked take the pan off the heat and mix the feta through.