I think it is so easy to get stuck in a rut when it comes to preparing vegetables. We find a route that we like and due to time restraints or habit we stick with it. This year I have been making a concerted effort to break out of my comfort zone when it comes to vegetables, (yes I am fully aware aubergines are a fruit). Just because something is a side dish it does not mean it has to blend into the background. I hate when you get served up a plate of vegetables that have just been boiled to within an inch of their life, not cool guys, not cool.
you will need;
1 large aubergine
1tbsp red miso paste
1tsp green matcha powder
1tbsp coconut oil
1tsp sesame seeds
- In a large bowl mix the miso, matcha, mirin and oil into a cohesive paste and set aside.
- Cut the top off your aubergine and then slice it in half lengthways. Then cut your aubergine into long wedges. I managed to get 6 from each half.
- Place the cut 'wedges' into the miso mixture and make sure they are covered.
- Leave them to marinade for about an hour or two, see how precise I am. Then roast them in a preheated oven at 200C for approximately 30-40 minutes depending on how effective your oven is. They should be soft but chard on the outside. They are delicious served hot, cold or warm.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds before serving. Enjoy!