The trees are full of blossoms, the birds are tweeting, I am wearing sandals. Yes it is undoubtedly spring and I for one am making the most of it by creating as many spring recipes that I can. Today we can buy most produce all year around but things taste better in season, they are also cheaper in season. I love a little pickle on my cheese or cold platters and this has a real great mix of heat, sweet and bite.
you will need;
16oz fresh rhubarb
2 red birds eye chillies
1 cup white vinegar
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp black peppercorns
1 star annis
Zest & juice of one orange
1tsp green cardamom
1/2 cup raisins
2tbsp brown sugar
- Gently warm the vinegar, remove from the heat and infuse with the spices for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- Strain the spices into a sieve.
- Chop the rhubarb and chillies. Add to a pan with the juice, zest, vinegar & sugar.
- Simmer on a low heat until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Transfer to sterilized jars and seal. Use once it has cooled. You can store in the cupboard until you open it the first time after that it will keep in the fridge for a week