It is officially comfort food season, it also still happens to be pumpkin season. Have you guessed where I am going with this yet. This is a great recipe as it is a savoury dish softened by the sweetness of the roasted pumpkin.
When I make macaroni cheese normally I tend to use a strong hard cheese, however with the pumpkin flavour you need a much milder cheese.
you will need;
2 1/2 cups milk
600g diced pumpkin
4 garlic cloves
salt & pepper
- Season the pumpkin & coat in a little olive oil to roast with the whole peeled garlic cloves.
- Meanwhile boil the macaroni & make the cheese sauce.
- To make the sauce melt the butter & add the flour. Slowly add the milk to the rue and stir until it becomes a smooth white sauce.
- Add the oregano and most of the cheese, hold a little cheese back to melt onto the top.
- When the pumpkin is roasted place it in a food processor with the garlic cloves and process into a puree.
- Mix the drained pasta, pumpkin and sauce together. Spoon into an oven proof dish, top with cheese and bake until golden.