Cooking prawns is something that I almost never do. As a vegetarian who likes to cook meat and fish for others I am often viewed as somewhat perverse. When it comes to prawns, especially those with the front feelers still on I turn into a fully fledged squeamish vegetarian, picking up the prawns between two spoons and making a very girly squeaking sound if I touch a feeler. It was not my most classy of kitchen moments.
This recipe is great as you can make it for veges and non-veges alike as you only add the prawns when you plate up. It also utilises the spice mix from an earlier post.
you will need;
1tbsp mixed spice mix
1 large aubergine
1 can of coconut milk
1 white onion
1 red chilli
4 prawns per person
1tbsp chilli oil
wild rice to serve & cinnamon bark
- Grind your spice mix and fry until it starts to pop. Add the onion, finely sliced. Fry on a low heat until the onions are soft.
- Dice your aubergine and add to the pan.
- Once the aubergines has begun to cook down add the coconut milk and turn the heat right down. Take the red chilli and split it down the centre and add to the pan.
- Whilst the curry is heating through boil the wild rice in water with a piece of cinnamon bark for flavour and heat the chilli oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the prawns on a high heat in the chilli oil on both sides until they become bright pink.
- Drain the rice an spoon over the creamy curry, if you are adding the prawns you should place them on top at this stage. (squealing as you do so is optional)