Lots of people tell me that fried food is unhealthy and okay perhaps it is a little. However here is my argument for tempura, you only have to fry it for a short time. There you go it was a short argument but hey sometimes even I am capable of getting straight to the point, sometimes. The key to making tempura batter is ice cold water.
you will need;
a selection of vegetables (I used courgette, carrot, aubergine & cauliflower)
1 cup iced water
3/4 cup flour, sifted
1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Sift the flour and soda bicarb together.
- Whisk the water and egg together until light and fluffy.
- Pour into the flour mixture.
- Coat your vegetables and fry in hot oil, not olive oil something with a low temp such as sunflower or coconut oil.
- Don't make your batter in advance use it immediately, fresh batter is the other key to tempura is fresh batter.
I served this with egg fried rice and a peanut and coconut dip.