When I say I am vegetarian I am often met with the phrase, "what do you eat?", or "just eating veg and salads must be boring". How silly those people are there is a tonne of interesting stuff to eat. This meal is a great example of what you can do with vegetarian foods.
Quinoa is such a great source of iron and it's explosion into the world market has been a real boost to the economy of Central American countries such as Bolivia, Equador and Columbia. Many people are just treating quinoa as a cous cous replacement and confining it to salads.
you will need;
1 vegetable stock cube
150g dried soya mince
150g bulgar wheat & quinoa mix
1 green chilli
1/2 tsp garlic salt
50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried coriander
a little flour to dust each patti
- Soak the quinoa and rinse to enable the bitter shell to be rubbed. Cook the bulgar wheat & quinoa in a pan with a stock cube. The ratio is 2:1 water to quinoa mixture.
- Mix the cooked quinoa mixture with the soya mince in a bowl with a little water to hydrate the mince.
- Chop the chilli, rocket and add to the mixture. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Form into small patties it helps to dust your hands with a little flour.
- Fry the patties in a slightly oiled pan. You will be able to keep them warm in the oven so that you can fry them in batches.
This is the consistency that you are aiming for with the quinoa mixture
you will need;
2 medium potatoes
2 egg yolks
1/2tsp dried thyme
60g toasted pine nuts
5 spring onions
salt and pepper
a dash of olive oil
- Peel the potatoes, slice into matchsticks. Wash, dry and set aside. in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the spring onions and cube the cheese.
- Add the cheese, egg yolks, spring onions, pine nuts, thyme and seasoning to the potatoes and mix well.
- Add a dash of olive oil and stir through.
- Pack the mixture tightly into deep muffin tins, overfill them that is okay.
- Bake at 200Cuntil golden brown.
Last but not least tasty homemade guacamole to give everything a bit of a kick and have some sauce for the meal that is packed with lovely fresh ingredients.
I hope you enjoy the recipe.