I am always looking for new ways to enjoy cheese. As much as I could eat fried Hallumi all day, (as a brief aside I have a great set of cheese jokes I will share with you one day - You Tube beckons), it is nice to find a new way to serve this deliciously salty cheese. This recipe is so tasty, yet so simple and quick to prepare.
you will need;
250g puff pastry
180g marinated artichokes
60g black olives sliced
2tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Roll out your pastry to round 1/4 inch thick. Try to keep a nice rectangles shape. If you go terribly wrong trim the pastry and use the scraps for cheesy twists.
- Place the pastry onto a baking sheet and score a line around 2 finger widths in from the edge like a frame. Remember it is important not to go all the way though the pastry. Once you have made your frame take a fork and stab the central section all over, this time you can go all the way through.
- Set the pastry aside and prepare your filling. In a bowl put the cubed cheese, sliced olives, chopped artichokes, chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice.
- Season this to your taste, remember the cheese is naturally salty. Add a tbsp. of the oil from the marinated artichokes and mix all of this together thoroughly.
- Spread this mixture over the pierced section of the pastry. If you like you can brush the 'frame' of the pastry with a little milk or beaten egg.
- Place in the centre of the oven for around 20 minutes or until the pastry turns a golden brown.