I decided earlier this year that I was going to make a concerted effort to eat more tomatoes. I promised Joe I would as he read an article that said they were high in anti-oxidants and would keep me cancer free. I love a deal and managed to buy a huge amount of tomatoes so decided that this was a sign to invent a new recipe. This recipe has quite a lot of prep but it is well worth it. My trick for enjoying the long process was to look at this time as time not only to cook and pretend I was sitting on my Tuscan farm doing so, but to catch up on listening to great music. Think kick ass playlist people.
you will need;
250g risotto rice
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
3 tsp dried oregano
knob of butter
3 cups white wine
150 veg stock
40g parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 150C. Quarter and deseed all of your tomatoes (I did warn you about the prep).
- Coat your tomatoes in the olive oil and oregano and season. Slowly roast these in the oven.
- When they are done leave until they are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in the pan and lightly toast the rice. Don't let it brown and burn. This step give a much richer flavour.
- Add the wine and stock to the rice and turn the heat to a simmer.
- Next remove the skin from the tomatoes and add to the risotto.
- Cook until the rice is tender, (you may need to add more liquid).
- Stir the cheese though and serve. I like to add a little balsamic vinegar to mine, but hey that is just me you don't have to do everything I tell you to do.